Monday, September 28, 2009

Exclusive Interview with Mariel Haenn!


We often see the end result of her work….the celeb images splashed across the web, red carpets, television and on stage at sold out shows. Celebrity stylist Mariel Haenn makes her work look easy; styling and creating images for some of the world’s biggest stars including fashion icon and singer Rihanna, sinder Ciara, actors Jada Pinkett-Smith and husband Will Smith, singer Keri Hilson and rapper Jay Z among many others. Haenn has also done a vast amount of editorial work, television commercials and worked with world renowned photographers across the world.

Her style is somewhat a mystery, the super talented stylist is not caught bragging or hitting more red carpets than her clients and it was a task to even find a photo of her on the Internet….but I think that’s why I like her so much. She’s gorgeous and speaking to her for this interview was such a pleasure. Great personality and style is always a perfect combination.

She’s not stopping at styling either; she recently launched the Want It! Collection in collaboration with Saks Fifth Avenue which features cutting-edge looks alongside more accessible versions of the trends that dominated the runway shows. I totally love this idea as I am always trying to get the “look for less.” Mariel also shares her favs from the collection below.

We chatted it up last week and here’s what the mogul in the making had to say about her career, her must have items for Fall, Rihanna, Britney Spears and much more:


What is your must have item for fall?

My must have item; I would say the strong shoulder jacket or blazer. Between that or the Saks Fifth Ave MasterCard. Which is like your little black card like your little black dress in the closet. I would say that’s my favorite accessory of all time just because it’s a card that rewards you for shopping in and out of Saks so you can shop anywhere and get the rewards at Saks and with that reward I would probably get one of the Fall Want It! pieces. It could be anything from the strong shoulder to the rocker boot or v-neck sweater…it’s really hard to pick one.

Do you have a favorite piece or style from the Want It! Collection?

I’m really into the strong shoulder right now. I also think the rocker boot is something everyone should have.

What path did you take to get where you are today? What came before MTV?

Before MTV was the Source Magazine and working as a freelance stylist so I’ve always started in music. I was at Source for a year and a half and from there I went to MTV and then from there went back to freelance.


Do you have any advice for any upcoming stylist and/or designers?

Stick with it. It can get really tough and you know it’s not something that happens overnight, but if you stick to whatever your passion is you know eventually you’ll start to see the rewards.

If you could only wear 3 garments for the rest of you life, what would they be?


*Laughs* I would say some sort of rocker boot, leggings and a strong shoulder blazer. Which is basically what I wear anyway.

How was it working with Rihanna and what was the most surprising thing you learned about her?

It’s extremely exciting working with her! Especially where we’ve gotten her today. I would say something I didn’t know about her, when we first got together, I didn’t know she would take to fashion as much as has now. When we started working together I didn’t know she would turn out to be an icon and you know love fashion as much as she does now, so that was a pleasant surprise.

What is in constant rotation in your iPod right now?

Jay Z’s Blueprint 3.

How was it working with them on the “Run This Town” set?

It was amazing! The set was a lot of fun because it was Kanye, Jay and Ri. But I recently just started working with Jay, which is really amazing, I’ll be working with him on the Empire State video as well.

Can you tell me a little more about the collaboration with Saks Fifth Avenue and what was the inspiration behind it?

Yeah, the inspiration behind the Fall Want It! campaign is basically that you can shop in your closet, pick out your favorite pieces and the program highlights what’s in style for Fall and you know the must haves from the cutting edge looks on the runway as well as accessible versions of the trends. So you know, its versatile and there’s something for everyone and you don’t have to go and re-do your whole closet, which is like the basis of the campaign. So basically highlights what you should be focusing on. Whether it’s the rocker boot the cozy knits, the strong shoulder or the forever bag, you can basically pick out anything from the campaign and make it your own.

Tips for how to dress down but still look good without looking like you’re trying too hard?

You can put on my favorite outfit the leggings, the rocker boot and the strong shoulder blazer, I mean it’s dressed down but once you throw on that blazer it kind of dresses you up and makes it not so casual. It’s still casual and comfortable but it’s not like you’re wearing just a t-shirt and jeans or a t-shirt and leggings. It makes you look a little more dressed up.

Is there anyone you haven’t had the opportunity to work with yet that you’re dying to get your hands on?

That’s so funny, I’ve been asked that question a lot and I’ve been trying to figure out who that person is. I mean I love Scarlett Johansson but I think that she already has amazing style. I think that Britney Spears might be a good challenge for me just because I know she’s about being comfortable but I think she could do a lot more than she does right now.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years? Do you want to design, is that something you’re looking forward to or is styling your heart?

I love styling, I think that 10 years from now I would want to be a creative consultant for maybe a clothing line or a brand and hopefully have my own high end jewelry line (the fashion maven shares with me that she'd like it to be along the lines of this piece she currently owns).



Thanks Mariel! xoxo

1 comment:

Tmarie said...

That's Cool Jess!

-Taneshia*